The Township of Muskoka Lakes is situated on the most southern part of the Canadian Shield, approximately two hours from Toronto. The Township of Muskoka Lakes encompasses a large geographic area around Lakes Muskoka, Rosseau and Joseph. Within the 782 square kilometres lie 80 lakes. The natural beauty of the shorelines and the abundance of wildlife make Muskoka Lakes a pre-eminent tourism destination. Whether you prefer small communities, rural areas, country settings or spectacular waterfront properties, the Township of Muskoka Lakes has it all. The municipality has encouraged responsible growth, while at the same time protecting the historic significance, character and natural beauty of the area. The communities of Bala and Port Carling are the largest urban centres. With miles of boating and superb quality of life, the Township of Muskoka Lakes hosts visitors from around the world. Many return year after year because no matter where they call home, the Township of Muskoka Lakes is the place they’d rather be.
OPEN FOR BUSINESS
The Township of Muskoka Lakes is located perfectly amongst cottage country, surrounded by over 80 lakes including Rosseau, Joseph and Muskoka. The pristine natural beauty of the area attracts tourists and seasonal residents from all around the world, creating a strong local economy. Business opportunities are endless to help support the demand of a permanent and seasonal population of over 34,000.
WHY INVEST IN THE TOWNSHIP OF MUSKOKA LAKES?
LARGEST ANNUAL CONSTRUCTION VALUE:
• According to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing Building Permit Statistics 2013, Muskoka Lakes had the largest construction value for building permits in the District of Muskoka totaling over $80 million.
LARGEST ASSESSMENT VALUE:
• With such significant annual construction activity it’s not surprising that Muskoka Lakes has the largest assessment base in the District of Muskoka. Muskoka Lakes assessment base is over $8 billion according to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing 2013.
ACCESS TO MULTIPLE BUSINESS RESOURCES:
• Township of Muskoka Lakes: If you are thinking about locating your business in the Township or expanding an existing business, Township staff are available to assist you and answer your questions.
• Muskoka Lakes Chamber of Commerce: Great opportunities exist with the Muskoka Lakes Chamber of Commerce to help promote and market your business locally.
• Muskoka Futures: Muskoka Futures is a Community Futures Development Corporation (CFDC) which supports community economic development and empowers entrepreneurs to succeed by offering experienced guidance and financial investment in their ventures.
• Muskoka Small Business Centre: This centre is the number one leader in business information for Muskoka, providing support to new and existing local businesses.
• FedNor: FedNor is the Government of Canada’s economic development organization for Northern Ontario. FedNor works with businesses and community partners to build a stronger Northern Ontario.
HIGH END BRAND ASSOCIATIONS:
• Throughout Ontario and the northeastern U.S.A, Muskoka Lakes contains many strong positive high-end brand associations, including Cottage Country and Hamptons of the North.
PROPERTY TAX RATE:
• Muskoka Lakes has the lowest industrial, commercial and residential taxes in the District of Muskoka.
• With a population of just over 34,000, Muskoka Lakes has the largest permanent and seasonal population within the District.
• Muskoka Lakes is a popular tourism destination and is home to a number of well-known resorts such as JW Marriott, Clevelands House, The Muskokan, Windermere House, Touchstone, Shamrock Lodge and Sherwood Inn.
The Township of Muskoka Lakes is less than an hour’s drive from the Muskoka Airport, approximately twenty minutes from the Parry Sound Area Airport and only two hours north of Toronto. The Township is situated such that it can be easily accessed from Highway 11 in the east or Highway 400 to the west. To support the efficient movement of people, products and services, an efficient transportation network is in place and includes Highways 169, 141, 118, 38.
HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS IS AVAILABLE:
• 100% DSL high speed internet accessibility in core centres such as Port Carling and Bala.
• Convenience of core broadband wireless high speed internet to over 80% of the Townships rural areas.
SERVICED LAND IS AVAILABLE:
• Port Carling and Bala have municipal water and sewer services.
FINE FOOD, ENTERTAINMENT, ADVENTURE & RELAXATION
Anchored by the communities of Bala, Port Carling and Windermere, the municipality offers the sophistication of a popular tourism destination with the wholesomeness of cottage living. The character of the Township is reflected in its eclectic mix of festivals and carnivals including the renowned Bala Cranberry Festival, Port Carling Winterfest, Antique Shows, Craft and Gift Fairs, and 2 Santa Claus Parades.
THE PERFECT LIFESTYLE...
• Home of Johnston’s Cranberry Marsh & Muskoka Lakes Winery.
• The Kee to Bala is an anchor attraction and part of our strong history of live music and entertainment. It has been the host to many bands, including; Blue Rodeo, David Wilcox, The Tragically Hip and many more.
• Water access to both Port Carling and Bala Downtown Hubs.
• Close proximity to many Provincial & National Parks including; Algonquin, Arrowhead, Killbear, Georgian Bay Islands and many more.
• Access to the 3 major lakes in Muskoka; Lake Joseph, Lake Muskoka & Lake Rosseau, and over 80 lakes in total.
• 40+ km of wonderful Hiking Trails.
• Multiple Public Beaches, Parks and Boat Launches.
• Museums in Bala and Port Carling.
• Multiple Public and Private Golf Courses.